BMRA exists for the mutual benefit of its members;
BMRA membership enables companies to:
- promote a positive image for metals recycling.
- influence policy, legislation and regulation, including through:
- contacts with officials and members of the European and UK governments.
- BMRA membership of EFR, EUROMETREC and BIR.
- link with other companies in the UK, Europe and worldwide through regional network meetings and BMRA events.
- develop common standards and agree industry specifications.
- enhance company credibility by:
- using the BMRA members logo on correspondence, advertising and signage.
- displaying the BMRA Membership Certificate & Code of Conduct.
- undertaking to comply with the BMRA/ACPO Code of Practice on crime reduction measures.
- the BMRA Environmental & Technical Advice Line on environmental regulation and related issues:
- for example, on waste management licensing, hazardous waste, transfrontier shipment, ELVs, WEEE, packaging.
- Dedicated Permitting & Planning Support Service. See below.
- the BMRA Employment & Business Helpline on employment and business management issues.
- access to statistics on import, export and other market trends.
- the BMRA Members Bulletin: issued to all members and available to members in the members'-only pages of our website.
- briefings on key topics.
- the BMRA Health and Safety Manual covering all major topics and relevant legislation.
BMRA members can also access a range of preferential services including:
- insurance schemes for metals recyclers
- a private healthcare scheme.
- assistance with permitting & planning applications. BMRA has partnered with 360 Environmental Ltd to provide members with (free) initial telephone advice and, if appropriate, further support. Click here for more information.
- training services - including the industry-designed Health and Safety Passport programme and plant operator training courses.
- listing on the BMRA website:
- a valuable source of trade enquiries.
- Yellow Pages advertising using a distinctive BMRA frame.
- Preferential advertising rates in "letsrecycle.com".
- the BMRA Annual Dinner.
- an opportunity to entertain customers and suppliers.
- a chance to relax and meet industry colleagues.
BMRA Membership is open to metals recycling companies of good standing that have been in business for at least two years. There are also associate membership categories for international and service members. All members must commit to abide by the Association's Rules and Code of Conduct.
Ordinary Members: must be metal recycling businesses trading or processing in the UK, with a UK address. They must also:
- have been in business for at least two years;
- be supported by two current BMRA Ordinary Members as referees; and
- make a declaration of annual turnover, tonnage of scrap handled and employee numbers, on application and annually thereafter.
Service Members: provide equipment, on-site services or other professional and practical support for businesses in the metals recycling sector. Activities include consultancy, plant and equipment, training, insurance, and more. Service Members provide a ready first port of call to help recycling members resolve problems. Furthermore, events such as our Annual Dinner and regional meetings provide informal opportunities for recycling and Service Members to meet. Service Members' capabilities are advertised in a searchable database on our website.
The Board of BMRA reserve the absolute right to approve, or otherwise, applications for membership and will not enter into correspondence regarding the reasons for their decisions.”
- Ordinary Membership Application Pack
- International Membership Application Pack
- Service Membership Application Pack