Useful metal recycling related links:
Cable Identification Guides
- BT Openreach Cable Identification Guide
- BT Cable Identification Poster
- BT Cable Marking - Smartwater
- BTP Railway Cable Guide
- Network Rail Cable Identification Guide
- Power Cable Identification Guide
- Western Power Cable Guide (Western Power has closely-controlled disposal arrangements for their scrap cable. Whilst not all cables shown in their guide are exclusive to Western Power, members are advised take care to satisfy themselves that any person offering them for sale has the right to do so.)
If you have any information about suspected theft of BT cable you can contact their 24-hour Security Operation Centre on 0800 321999, or e-mail email@example.com.
Security Marking Systems
- RedWeb Technologies 0800 157 7246 - Information Sheet *
- Selectamark 01689 860 757 - Marked Metal Identification Chart *
- Smartwater 0800 521 669 - "We reserve the right to refuse ..." Poster *
Metal Theft Scotland - Scottish Business Crime Centre
Click here for information about the Scottish Business Crime Centre's Metal Theft website
LPG Cylinder Return
UKLPG, the trade association for the liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) industry in the UK, advises that LPG cylinders remain the property of the gas company and are refilled by exchange. If you have a cylinder that is no longer needed it should be returned to a local dealer of the company owning the cylinder or, to arrange for the cylinder to be collected, please identify the brand on the cylinder and click here to see contact details for all known brands of cylinders.
Please let Ken at the BMRA know if you do run into problems with the return or collection of LPG cylinders.
Each year the brewing industry loses many millions of pounds through the theft and misappropriation of kegs, casks (beer barrels) and dispense gas cylinders. Keg Watch represents the interests of around 650 brewers, cider makers and the major suppliers of dispense gases to the industry, and is committed to reducing the losses. Click on Keg Watch for more information, or here for a list of scrap yards accredited or destruction of Keg Watch members' containers.
Keg Watch advises that penalties for those involved in handling stolen kegs are severe. They also pay rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the theft or unauthorised destruction of containers. Keg Watch operates a confidential free phone line called Keg Line for any general queries or to provide information on 0808 100 1945.
Shopping trolleys and dairy milk roll cages
Retail stores and the dairy industry experience significant losses of shopping trolleys and dairy milk cages each year through the unauthorized removal of their assets. Trolleywise represents all major retailers and the dairy industry and operates a recovery and repatriation service throughout the UK to locate and return these assets to their lawful owners.
Trolleywise works closely with Trolley Team (part of Dairy UK), local authorities and the Canal and Rivers Trust to reduce abandonment and removal of all wheeled equipment, and work towards a cleaner, safer community environment. For further information on supermarket trolleys click on www.trolleywise.co.uk or for further information on dairy trolleys click on www.trolleyteam.co.uk or call freephone 0800 316 1241.
You can download a Trolley Team poster by clicking here.
General Recycling Information
- Electronic duty of care - edoc
- The Green Guide
- Metal Recycling Animations (courtesy of Sims Metal Management)
- EWC Codes - European Waste Catalogue
- Dow Jones World Scrap Weekly - for member offer, click here
- "Smartwater Searchlight"
- Metal Bulletin
- Metals & Me teaching package
Government / Policy
- Associate Parliamentary Sustainable Resource Group
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Department of the Environment - Northern Ireland (DoE-NI)
- Department of Trade & Industry (DTI)
- Environment Agency
- Environment and Heritage Service (EHS)
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Republic of Ireland
- European Commission (EC)
- Health & Safety Executive
- Netregs - environmental guidance for your business
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)
- Scottish Parliament
- Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (England & Wales only)
- - Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed documents and information for verification of name and address) Regulations
- - Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Prescribed relevant offences) Regulations
- Welsh Assembly
- WRAP good practice guidance for the collection & treatment of WEEE
Industry Related Associations
- Aluminium Federation
- BIR "Tools for Quality Management" Guide
- British Constructional Steelwork Association (BCSA)
- British Stainless Steel Association (BSSA)
- Cast Metals Federation
- Confederation of British Metalforming (CBM)
- Copper Development Association
- DTI Manufacturing Advisory Service
- Galvanizer's Association
- International Lead Association
- International Lead Association - Europe
- Metal Packaging Manufacturers Association (MPMA)
- Metals Forum
- Metals Industry Skills & Performance (MetSkill)
- National Association of Steel Stockholders (NASS)
- National Metals Technology Centre
- Nickel Institute
- Non Ferrous Alliance (NFA)
- Titanium Information Group
- Trade Association Forum
- UK Steel
- Bureau of International Recycling (BIR)
- European Ferrous Recovery and Recycling Federation (EFR)
- European Metal Trade and Recycling Federation (Eurometrec)
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI)
Click here for tutorials from HM Revenue and Customs to assist small businesses.
‘Starting your own Business’ e-Learning Tool
HM Revenue & Customs have recently launched a new FREE e-learning tool that advises on the tax and National Insurance issues involved in starting your own business.
The package can be completed in bite-size pieces and covers subjects including:
- Starting in business
- Registering your self employment
- What records should I keep?
- What can I claim against my income?
- VAT registration
- Becoming an employer
Incorporated into the package are learning checks and videos as well as links to further advice on YouTube & gov.uk website. To start the tutorial, click here: Starting Your Own Business.
Time Educational Supplement Teaching Resources
TES Teaching Resources, free lesson plans and worksheets are available by clicking on the logo below.