Hours: 40 hours per week Monday to Friday
Salary: Competitive & negotiable
Overview of the company and role:
GRG Waste UK is a waste to resource management company, the parent company Guernsey Recycling Group is headquartered in Guernsey in the Channel Islands. GRG is a growing and currently owns 9 companies employing over 200 staff in Guernsey, Jersey, UK and the Cayman Islands. In the UK, GRG has become a market leader for hazardous and liquid waste and is driven by the principles of sustainability; over 80% of waste received is either recycled or recovered.
Reporting to the Group Operations Director the primary role of the Health and Safety Officer is to advise all staff on all safety, health and welfare matters to ensure the GRG group of companies within the Channel Islands complies with its statutory obligations. The GRG group of Companies includes Guernsey Recycling (1996) Ltd, Mayside Recycling Ltd, Island Waste Ltd, Galaxy Computer Brokers Ltd and Waste Oil Recycling Ltd in Guernsey, and Abbey Waste Ltd in Jersey.
- Overall responsibility and compliance of health and safety for all Group Companies within the Channel Islands, advising all staff on all matters of health and safety and ensuring all staff are aware of the importance of following health and safety protocol.
- Working with external health and safety consultants as appropriate to maintain health and safety standards within the Group.
- Elect and set up regular health and safety representative meetings as per statutory requirements for all sites
- Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices in the workplace.
- Conduct/organise relevant health and safety training for staff as required, including but not limited to first aid and fire safety.
- Conduct all “risk assessments” for each GRG site as required by legislation, review at regular intervals and maintain records of the same.
- Conduct & carryout internal and compliance audits of all GRG sites; report on findings and manage issue log through to completion.
- Co-ordinate and manage first aid and fire safety representatives for all GRG sites.
- Recommend & implement control measures and advise on the standard of P.P.E. issued to employees.
- Carry out investigations into all accidents and near-miss incidents and to record the findings on H&S database.
- Advise the Group Operations Director & Company Secretary of all incidents reportable under R.I.D.D.O.R.
- Conduct health and safety inspections and prepare reports and documents as required.
- Identify areas where training/certification is required to meet the standards imposed by Legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, or H.S.E. guidance. Arrange such training/certification once identified.
- Keep up to date with changes in current legislation and implement such changes where relevant.
- Attend such courses/seminars run by external sources to enable accurate interpretation of legislation to enable implementation within the organisation.
- Liaise with the Site managers to establish contractor health & safety procedures, ensure contractors have been approved to work on GRG Sites and have relevant RAMS, insurance etc.
- Immediately contact the Leadership Team if situations are found, that in the opinion of the H&S Officer, require immediate rectification or the stopping of any operation.
- Any other ad hoc health and safety duties as requested within the whole Group
- NEBOSH Certificate – essential
- NEBOSH Diploma - desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, a flexible approach with the ability to work as part of a team and under own initiative.
Contact: [email protected]