It is illegal to be paid cash for your scrap metal, including from your home address. You need to provide identification and the dealer requires a Scrap Metal Dealers Licence.
You can present either:
- a photocard driving licence (which shows your address) or;
- a current passport and supporting document, consisting of one of the following;
- a utility bill (not a mobile phone bill)
- bank or building society statement
- debit or credit card statement
- a council tax letter.
While you should not be paid cash, you can be paid by several instant methods including bank transfer, by cheque or pre-paid card.
If you are offered cash you can report it anonymously.