It is illegal to be paid cash for your scrap metal, including from your home address. You need to provide identification and the dealer requires a Scrap Metal Dealers Licence

You can present either:

  • a photocard driving licence (which shows your address) or;
  • a current passport and supporting document, consisting of one of the following; 

    • a utility bill (not a mobile phone bill) 
    • bank or building society statement
    • debit or credit card statement 
    • a council tax letter.  

While you should not be paid cash, you can be paid by several instant methods including bank transfer, cheque, pre-paid card, or electronic funds transfer.

If you are offered cash you can report it anonymously.